Water Utility Crew Member
Compensation: $18.00-$20.00 /Hour
Location: West Houston, Memorial Villages
***Water Utility and/or municipal experience preferred***
Under the direction of the Water and Wastewater Crew Leader directs the Water Authority’s operations for a safe and reliable drinking water supply, treatment and distribution and wastewater collection systems. The Crew Member is responsible for all functions of the Distribution and Collection Systems.
- Performs manual tasks at a semi-skilled level and trains lower level Utility Workers in the maintenance and construction of wastewater lines.
- Works on crew to dig up and replace sewer lines.
- High level of manual labor required to dig, shore up and back-fill.
- Places pipe in trenches dug by backhoe or trencher.
- Adjusts pipe to insure proper slope.
- Assemble and disassemble barricades.
- Must be skilled in using hand tools.
- Use proper safety equipment and procedures at all times.
- If a safety factor exists, must decide what precautionary steps to take.
- Must be able to work independently; display good judgment; ability to assess situation and make appropriate determination on how to proceed.
- Knowledge of and the ability to utilize proper tools and equipment of the trade.
- May be subject to call out service after hours.
- Monitors and maintains assigned wells; verifies wells are operating correctly; checks chlorination levels.
- Assist in repairs pf water main breaks and service lines; flushes, repairs, and replaces fire hydrants; rebuilds and repairs water meters.
- Performs service calls to check for water leaks throughout the water system; provides aid to customers;
- Turns water services on or off at City connections when starting and closing accounts.
- Collects monthly required bacteriological samples; delivers samples to assigned laboratory for testing.
- Operates water treatment plant; calculates the chlorine demand of raw ground water for proper disinfection; monitors and maintains chlorination system.
- Gathers water usage readings for monthly billing; disconnects customers' water for non-payment of utility bills.
- Inspects and cleans groundwater storage tanks; prepares tanks for State inspections
- Repairs and pours concrete driveways and sidewalks.
- Participates in city-wide emergency response
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma or GED plus one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge or experience in construction trades such as concrete work, pipe work or general labor required. Ability to read sewer maps and drawings.
- Knowledge of general job safety.
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive we regret that we are unable to personally respond to each applicant, should your resume be chosen to move forward in the process you will typically be contacted within 3 weeks.