Payroll and Benefits Manager
945 Bunker Hill #150 Houston, TX 77024 US
Location: Houston, TX
Type of Position: Direct Hire
- Work closely with the HR Director, this role takes ownership and benefits, payroll, and HRIS operations
- Manage time and attendance & payroll processing, inquiries, and/or payroll discrepancies for multi-company, multi-state, bi-weekly cycles, and special payrolls, including bonuses, commissions, etc.
- Determine payroll liabilities by reviewing and approving the calculation of Team Member federal and state income and social security taxes, and Team Member’s social security, unemployment, workers compensation payments, and any other withholdings.
- Prepare necessary files after processing payroll, including but not limited to 401k Team Member deferrals and company match, FSA, and HAS accounts.
- Partner with Finance to balance the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Prepare reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Manage legal and compliance audits such as income taxes, statutory social securities, benefits audits, and more.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by keeping current on existing and new legislation and proactively auditing to ensure compliance.
- Maintain payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures as needed.
- Administer Team Member benefit programs such as medical, FSA/HSA, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, retirement, leave programs, and 401(k) distributions and rollovers.
- Assist Team Members with benefit claim issues through communication with representatives at appropriate insurance providers.
- Develop benefit information, statistical and census data for internal reporting, actuaries, and insurance carriers.
- Oversee annual benefits renewal process; review all data and options to negotiate best rates and secure optimal plan design.
- Manage all aspects and roll-out of Annual Open Enrollment.
- Define and oversee execution of processes related to new hires, life events, retirement, employment terminations, etc.
- Identify, evaluate, and manage third-party administrators, advisors, and other service providers.
- Provide regular feedback to vendors; collaborate with vendors to create, implement, and manage process improvement initiatives.
- Manage application of federal, state, local, and company leave of absence policies and short-term and long-term disability programs, including eligibility, intake, case management, return-to-work, issue resolution, escalations, and vendor management.
- Collaborate proactively with internal business partners to provide subject matter expertise and counsel. Work with partners to identify solutions and to ensure that quality, professional, and timely assistance is provided to our Team Members.
- Administer the return-to-work process, including the timely and accurate entry of return-to-work dates and documentation into the HRIS system.
- Manage and provide direction on denied leaves of absence to ensure Team Member understanding.
- Manage monthly billings from insurance providers and other vendors, including the review of billings for accuracy, code, and process for payment.
- Lead audits to ensure data accuracy and plan administration compliance. Identify trends, manage issues through to resolution, and escalate critical issues in a timely manner.
- Audit Team Member HRIS data to ensure existing and new participants are properly set up within the HRIS system.
- Manage various audits, including IRS, DOL, 401(k) plan, Workers Compensation, and any internal audit reviews.
- Prepare all government filings such as Form 5500, Summary Annual Reports, and Non-Discrimination testing.
- Network with industry contacts, analyze external benchmarking, conduct market research, and review latest services.
- Keep abreast of external environment for emerging trends, regulatory changes, and best practices.
- Manage the timely and accurate administration of new hire, transfer, and termination processing.
- Manage HRIS system optimization with a strong focus on process efficiencies, user experience, and change management.
- Manage and maintain HRIS database to ensure data accuracy.
- Generate various HR, payroll, and benefits reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 7+ years of relevant in-house payroll and benefit management experience
- Advanced knowledge of employee benefits, wellness, leaves of absence and retirement programs, policies, and legislation
- Experience with State and Federal regulations affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, ACA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, HIPPA, and Section 125
- Extensive knowledge of payroll and benefit programs and related taxation, ability to research new tax requirements, and implement within the HRIS system
- Knowledge of U.S. state and federal wage and hour laws
- Expert skills/experience using Paylocity HRIS for both payroll and benefit administration
- Proficient in managing Leaves of Absence across multiple leave types and laws
- 401k - RRSP Administration experience required
- Experience partnering and negotiating with benefits brokers and vendors
- Strong organization and MS Office computer skills, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Strong stakeholder and project management skills, including demonstrated ability to partner with all levels of Team Members, from front-line to Executive
- Humble – approachable and kind, asking for assistance when needed
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Comfortable handling highly confidential information with discretion
- Self-starter with the ability to successfully work independently
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve, and clearly communicate with all levels of Team Members throughout the organization
- Ability to maintain close attention to detail in work performed and meet deadlines with high level of accuracy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills