Entry Level Civil Engineer
Entry Level Civil Engineer
Position Location: Houston, TX
Position Type: Direct Hire
Position Salary: $60,000 - $65,000 Base (Depending on Experience)
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- Mixture between Office Environment & Exposure to outdoor weather conditions (cold, heat).
- Exposure to potentially hazardous conditions (e.g., road traffic, culverts, waterways, brush, mud)
- Work performed above ground level, sometimes using ladders
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach out with one's body, arms, and/or legs
- Ability to operate automotive vehicles and associated equipment
- Under general supervision by a certified engineer, inspects bridges, determines ratings and recommendations, and completes reports according to contract requirements and engineering standards to ensure conformance with state and federal codes regarding bridge structural and safety requirements, and performs related duties as required
- Performs physical inspection of bridges, including walking on and around the structure, making visual observations of elements and signage, taking measurements, and reviews pertinent forms from the previous bridge inspection report to determine areas requiring special attention during current inspection.
- Records relevant information on field verification form and records condition ratings and notes for all bridge elements on 1085 field form. Measures and records vertical and lateral under clearances for grade separations as appropriate for ON System and OFF System bridges. Performs channel profile measurements for stream crossings.
- Collects and records bridge condition state data using appropriate methods, systems, and forms specified by TxDOT or District work authorization, depending on the type of bridge. Records sign information and condition for bridges with load posting signs and obtains pertinent field data to be used in load rating calculations, including a sketch of the bridge if necessary.
- Takes and labels required bridge photographs (e.g., roadway, elevation) and others needed to document problems. Updates county maps to show correct structure numbers and locations of bridges as needed. Follows applicable safety regulations when conducting all field work.
- Perform calculations using standard formulas; recognize reasonable results of arithmetic computations and recognize the relationships between numbers
- Enters data from field forms and coding sheet into computer generated forms using relevant systems (e.g., electronic 1085 form, InspectTech program and prepares sketches of bridge from field measurements, if needed to complete bridge files.
- Performs load rating calculations of OFF System bridges using relevant software programs or by hand when required.
- Learn the required knowledge of the job (e.g., procedures, work methods, specific techniques, policies, technical knowledge) through reading relevant materials and on-the-job training; keep up-to-date on technical knowledge and skills related to work
- Plots channel profile measurements on bridge layout (or scale sketch) for all stream crossings.
- Records maintenance recommendations and pertinent repairs, including changes in operational status, for ON System bridges on a Follow-up Action Worksheet and prepares Summary sheets.
- Records upgrade recommendations and load posting data for OFF System bridges on a Bridge Summary Sheet form. Completes and updates additional forms (e.g., 536 Bridge Inventory Record or Record Revision, Bridge Structural History Sheet) as needed for specific bridges.
- Assembles paper and electronic bridge inspection files and prepares Summary packages to be submitted to the District Bridge Inspection Office. Prepares bridge lists to be submitted to TxDOT.
- Assists in the preparation of progress reports and QA/QC review on bridge inspection files according to the Company’s Quality Control Plan.
Note: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are required for particular assignments. Field work and associated travel typically takes approximately one to two weeks per month.
- Entry Level: Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural engineering and Must have an EIT certification.
- Must possess a valid State of Texas driver's license is required.
- Must have strong communications skills both verbal and written
- Able to follow Quality Control / Quality Assurance Program and associated work procedures
- Must be able to travel to the field and perform inspections; 25% average travel inside of Texas
- Follow applicable safety practices and code standards specific to bridge inspection, including TxDOT and AASHTO manuals
- Experience working with bridge-related reports, plans, layouts, drawings, charts, and load tables is a plus.
Due to the high volume of applications we typically receive, we regret that we are not able to personally respond to all applications. However, if you are invited to take the next step in the process, you will typically be contacted within 3 weeks of submitting your application