Civil Project Manager/Estimator
Civil Estimator and Project Manager
Compensation: Depends on Experience ($85,000 to $110,000)
Overall responsibility for bid development and submission(s) for both private and public works projects. Responsibilities will also include the following;
- Assurance of estimating accuracy during bid closing. Seek assistance as may be required to assure timely bid submission.
- Responsible for reading and analyzing blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation in the preparation of time, cost, and labor estimates for asphalt and site grading contracts, applying knowledge of specialized methodologies, techniques, principles, or processes.
- Project Management for multiple projects including customer relationships, scheduling, change order processing, timely billing and overall project close-out.
- Ensure employee driven safety culture is in place and effective.
- Identifies labor, material, and time requirements by studying proposals, blueprints, specifications, and related documents. Visits the site when necessary. Ability to read and understand project plans and specifications is key.
- Directs estimating activities by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program and operational policies and procedures.
- Completes estimating requirements by scheduling and assigning employees and following up on work results. Assures that each employee understands what he/she is expected to contribute and achieve.
- Obtains bids from vendors and subcontractors by specifying materials, identifying qualified subcontractors, and negotiating prices.
- Computes cost factors and prepares estimates. Coordinates estimates with field superintendents as appropriate.
- Presents prepared estimate by assembling and displaying numerical and descriptive information.
- Assists with plan preparation and estimates on larger team assembled estimates.
- Negotiates and prepares changes orders as necessary for active projects.
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions.
- Consults with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues. Able to navigate issues of extra work/ unplanned work with customers with the ability to maintain relationships while insuring company is being fairly compensated for its work.
- Writes scope of work for subcontractors and negotiates subcontract terms.
- Continuously strives to improve customer satisfaction (internal and external). Provides for on-time delivery and meets customer quality and cost expectations. Actively seeks customer interface. Communicates and facilitates customer needs within the organization. Meets commitments made to customers.
- Maintains a professional approach when dealing with customers and employees. Shows honest and ethical behavior in business relationships and transactions.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending in-house training and development programs, educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Maintains internal and external customer relations.
- Performs other job related responsibilities and special projects as requested.
Qualifications (Education/Experience) and Required Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering or related field preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and applicable work experience.
- Five to seven years’ experience in a similar position preferred. Experience in asphalt or cold-milling required.
- Exhibits thorough knowledge of Estimating skills and techniques. Knowledge of state, city and county specifications. Knowledge of job costing and estimating techniques. Proven record of strong customer service skills.
- Knowledge of OSHA and WISHA regulations. MSHA safety regulation knowledge a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, specifications and contracts.
- Skills needed include leadership, problem solving, decision making and organization.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional ethics, tact, and courtesy in dealing with management, team members, vendors and internal and external customers.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel and quickly able to be proficient with estimating software.
- Demonstrated ability to safely plan and set work priorities in a cost-effective manner.
- Ability to travel as needed (occasional).
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that we are unable to personally respond to each applicant. Should your resume be chosen to move forward in the process, you will typically be contacted within 3 weeks.